23 September 2009

Self Promo 3

For my third self-promotional photograph, I chose to photograph a
piece of jewelry. It took hours of playing with lighting to find a
combination that showed the color of the jewel and also made it
shine. I used the edge of my bathtub to try to get a reflection of the
ring. When that didn't work, I used a piece of white plexiglass.
I placed a small softbox behind the ring, a small flash underneath
the plexiglass, and another flash to the left of the rest of the setup.
After all that, I felt better about the color and shine of the ring,
but still wanted a reflection. So I cut the ring out and created a
reflection for it in another PhotoShop document.
I shot the ring with my Nikon D80 DSLR and a 60mm macro lens. My
exposure time was 1/200 of a second at f/32.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet shot. Great color and contrast. It is a finished product ready for the magazine world. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. das pretty. I like how you got it to sparkle and what not. Also nice reflection and tented background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Susan! I love the use of the refection and background color in the image. Nice lighting used on the gem to make it sparkle.

    ReplyDelete